Skip to content

Our girl turned 5!

September 25, 2011

Five years ago yesterday I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Here is Alaina’s birth story.  Sorry it is a day late!

Mike and I tried for 19 months to get pregnant and I was finally diagnosed with Poly cystic ovarian syndrome our doctor put me on clomid, a level 1 infertility drug.  Praise God we only needed one round of clomid and we were pregnant.  My due date was 10/1. The pregnancy was easy. We were planning to find out the sex of the baby at my 20 week ultrasound but then choose at last-minute to wait.  Mike decided he didn’t want to know. He gave me complete permission to find out but told me not to tell him.  At this point I choose not to know, out of fear of ruining Mike’s desire for a surprise.

At 30 weeks I had a 4D ultrasound done and two close friends attended. I had already decided I would find out the sex of our baby that day.  I couldn’t wait any longer.  I made my friends swear to not say a word.  Both agree. We then discovered I was having a girl.  I did amazing not slipping in front of Mike the rest of the pregnancy.  Mike had no idea I even knew.

About two weeks prior to my due date my doctor talked about scheduling an induction if I am still pregnant by my next appointment.  Well guess what I was.  It was scheduled for Tuesday, September 26.  My doctor was pretty sure I would not make it through that weekend. I went to work after my appointment and requested my maternity leave begin that Monday.  I was thinking that would give me one day to do any last-minute stuff the needed done.  To my dismay work denied it and requested I come to work Monday.

Sunday morning I woke up at 6 am still pregnant and disappointed thinking I would have to go to work or one day. I was hoping my doctor would be right and I wouldn’t make it through the weekend.  As I lay in bed I realize I am contracting regularly, yet I am not getting excited since I have done that off and one for a week or two.  I decide to make a bathroom trip and discover a little bloody show. Knowing that is a good sign I decide it is time for a shower. At the very end of my shower, as I am still standing in the shower just drying my hair my water breaks in a gush.  I say no way. What’s the chance I would be in the shower when my water naturally breaks. So I wake mike and told home what happened and I was going to call the doctor.  The doctor tells me it was time to go to the hospital.  I call my parents and friend Kara and tell them it is time.  Once Kara arrived at our house we headed to the hospital.  We arrived at the hospital around 9 am.

Once at the hospital I am checked in strapped to the machines and they do blood work verify that my water broke.  They decided yes I was in labor.  Even with contractions being every 3-4 minutes and fairly strong (the nurses words not mine) I was barely noticing them.  I went all morning and up till 2:00 pm with slow and steady progressing and still no pain.  No one could believe I was 5.5 cm and no pain from contractions yet.  I was shocked, that I was barely feeling them.  Looking back I figure if my water didn’t break I would have probably been one of those woman who show up at the hospital 8 or 9  cm along.

Due to a shift change approaching the nurses pushed to have the doctor put me on Petocine.  The doctor agreed and I was given Petocine.  Around 4 pm I was finally starting to notice the contractions, yet they were still more than bearable.  The nurses suggested with it being a Sunday and only anesthesiologist on duty at the time,  I should at least have the dry catheter put in for my epidural.  At 4:15 or 4:30 pm I was finally 6.5 cm and it was time for my catheter to be put in.  The anesthesiologist informed me that it might be best to have my epidural completed now if I wanted it at all.  He was the only one on duty at this time and they are expecting victims from a multiply car accident.  He wasn’t sure how soon he would make it back up here and since I was 6.5 cm on Petocine.  I agreed and had him do the epidural.

Once I received my epidural I progressed faster.  I was 9.75 cm by 6:00 pm.  At this time I was starting to feel the urge to push.  Yet I still had to wait for the 10 cm mark.  The epidural was worn off for about a good 45 minutes at this point(preference of my doctor to be epidural free during the pushing).  I was tossing and turning in the bed trying to get comfortable and minimize the pain at this point.  Once I was 10 cm (6:30 pm) and I was allowed to push, I was having such long and minimal breaks between contractions, I was told to do three 10 second pushes per contractions.  I barely had a moment to breathe between contractions.  I didn’t care what the doctor and nurses were saying, I just listened to my body and my body was agreeing with them.  I needed to push and push often.  I had an amazing nursing staff cheering and chanting me though my pushing.

At 7:19 pm, Alaina made her grand entrance into the world at 7 pounds 15 ounces and 19.5 inches long.  She was full of beautiful dark hair and big brown eyes.  Enjoy the pictures below from over her life.

30 Weeks and 3 Days pregnant. This is when I found out I was having a GIRL!  Yes that is a HUGE smile!



September 24, 2006, The day she was born.

Happy Birthday ALAINA!!!!







No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: